Thursday, April 12, 2007

Feeling a bit nostalgic

As I prepare for our son’s birthday, I realize I’m having a bit of a breakdown. I can’t believe it’s been three years since "our gift" arrived. Nic has made us proud from the moment we heard his heart beat. In three short years he's transformed into a little person with his own mind and his own ideas. My son wipes his own butt now and says things like, "No Mom, I can do it" and "Yes Mom, I had a good day". And, if I'm very good, a random, "I love you". I know the future is bright with all the wonders yet to come; I just can't help but look behind me and reminisce on all that has been lost.

His first birthday - he was 29 lbs and had yet to walk. Trust me when I say, we were READY for him to walk. Luckily, he took his first unassisted steps two weeks after.





His first solid meal - he was never shy with food (hence the 29 lbs), took right to it! His very first meal was a memory in a matter of minutes



His first pair of party shoes - he was so impressed with them and so proud that he was able to walk without tripping. And no, that wasn't what he wore to the party :)




His first haircut - done in Oregon so Grandma Shipman could share in the experience. He was such a trooper, didn't cry at all and didn't move... much.





His first time in an inner tube - he wasn't even two when this picture was taken.







Sniff. Are these the memories that condemn parents to cry like fools at their children's wedding? If that's the case - I'm doomed to be a stereotype.

No comments: