Friday, September 15, 2006

School projects already?

My 15 year old nephew was assigned to tap his parents memory for some of his childhood facts. What were my first words; when were my first steps; what were my favorite toys, blah, blah, blah. All the things a new mom can recite in her sleep. However, after 2 kids, 15 years and countless other memories, his mom’s answer was, “I forgot”. A response I’m sure my nephew wasn’t expecting. After I laughed out loud and I did the verbal equivalent of finger shaking, my sister told me, “You laugh now… but wait. You’ll see. You’ll forget too”. Me?? forget??? Never! Maybe other moms, but NOT me. After the ego subsided, I realized she was right. Against my will, time has blurred some of the “smaller” milestones my son has managed to cross. So, in preparation for future school projects, here are some Nic-isms:

On Love:
We saw a cat that was obviously scared and he went up to it and said, “It O.K., your mommie comin’. She’ll be right back”.

On Encouragement:
When he tries something new or if the task is just beyond his abilities and he can't quite get it, he doesn’t cry, he smiles and says: ALMOST!

On Vanity:
When he likes an outfit he’s wearing he stares in the mirror, points to himself and says, “I’m sexy”.

On Sharing:
(ear piercing, window shattering scream) NOOOOO! DAT MINE!! MOMMMMIEEE ~ HE TOOK MINE TOY!!!!

Hey, I didn’t say he was perfect.









No comments: